Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Gustavo Esteva

Interview and Lecture with Gustavo Esteva
by Nic Paget-Clarke for In Motion Magazine
(originally published in April '06)

Alright, alright...I know what you're thinking, "First Ashanti, and now Gustavo?!" No worries, people, I'm gonna get off of the loveable (old-ish, bald-ish!) men soon. But come on now...let's respect the elders :-) Gu and Ashanti are two guys who have definitely shown me that I can grow older and stay relevant...and maybe even get better with age. (pipe dream?!)

Anyway, I met Gu (I'm not close to him like that but I LIKE the name "Gu" so I'm gonna use it!) while working in Oaxaca and visiting the Universidad de la Tierra. I joined discussions and some organizing work at "UniTierra" and was really impressed with the role it was playing within the movement in Oaxaca and beyond. Without further ado, I want to direct you to this ill 3-part interview conducted with Gu a little over a year ago (as the Other Campaign was undergoing its birth pangs in the Zapatista communities of Chiapas)...

The Society of the Different (interview)
Part 1: The Center of the World
Part 2: We are People of Corn: Life, Metaphor, Autonomy
Part 3: Regenerating Community/A Political Alternative

The Revolution of the New Commons (lecture)
Beyond Development, Beyond Economy, Beyond the Individual Self, Beyond the Nation State

No comments: